Re: yam verbosity

On Mon, 20 Dec 2004, Timothy Murphy wrote:

> I use yam to keep a local fedora-update repository
> by running "yam -u" as a nightly cron job (see below).
> I can then run "yum update" on the machines on my home LAN.
>
> All this works perfectly - thank you, Messrs yum and yam -
> so what I am asking is really sugar on the plum-pudding.
>
> I find the log entries for yam are a little sparse.
> On the other hand, if I say "yam - v" they are excessively verbose.
> It would be nice if there was a medium
> which just recorded the rpm's which were downloaded.
>
> ,----[ /etc/cron.daily/yam.cron ]
> | #!/bin/bash
> | # Populate fedora-update repository
> | /bin/date >> /var/log/yam.log
> | /usr/bin/yam -u >> /var/log/yam.log
> | /usr/bin/createrepo -q /var/yam/fc3-i386/updates >> /var/log/yam.log
> | exit 0
> `----

It would be handy if you could post it to the correct list, as I found
this mail by luck.

The verbosity is a very difficult game. My current implementation for yam
is that yam -v only shows extra Yam messages (limited), -vv shows a little
bit of the output of the tools yam uses, -vvv will increase verbosity of
both yam and the tools it is using.

Can you tell me what from the output you would expect and what you think
it useless (or should be demoted) ? Every case that does not fit
expectations or makes it less useful needs a description so that I can
look at that and find a good compromise to what technincally possible and
functional :)

Thanks in advance,
--   dag wieers,  dag@xxxxxxxxxx,  http://dag.wieers.com/   --