Re: [OT] Re: Java installation question

Ow Mun Heng wrote:

I still can't get JRE/JDK 1.5 or 1.4.2 to play with Azureus 2.2
(didn't try 2.2.0.2 yet) on FC3

Where are you getting your JRE from? The JRE at java.sun.com, either version 1.4.2_05 or 1.5.0 works with Azureus. As a matter of fact, I decided to run java -version from /usr/java/jre1.5.0/bin and got the following response (sorry for the long quote):

libgcj-java-placeholder.sh

This script is a placeholder for the /usr/bin/java
master link required by jpackage.org conventions.  libgcj's
rmiregistry, rmic and jar tools are now slave symlinks to these
masters, and are managed by the alternatives(8) system.

This change was necessary because the rmiregistry, rmic and jar tools
installed by previous versions of libgcj conflicted with symlinks
installed by jpackage.org JVM packages.
gij (GNU libgcj) version 3.4.2 20041017 (Red Hat 3.4.2-6.fc3)

It appears that the Sun JRE's are setup to allow for compatibility with jpackage.org blackdown JRE's (I have found no use for Blackdown since about version 1.1.8, which is a long time ago.)

Anyway, I found no problem running Azureus with the different JRE's. I can make a suggestion that you edit the azureus script and place the path to your JRE bin directory in the JAVA_PROGRAM_DIR variable, which is about three lines into the script.

James McKenzie