Re: Upgrade from RH9 to Fedora

----- Original Message ----- From: "Kirk" <kirk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <fedora-list@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sunday, December 19, 2004 2:09 PM
Subject: Upgrade from RH9 to Fedora

Maybe a loaded question ... what is the best interactive update procedure to
go from RH9 (Shrike) to Fedora Core 2 or 3? Can I simply add apt or yum and
do an 'all' update?

Kirk

Hi Kirk -

Pretty much every time this type of question gets asked, the Fedora developers recommend using the installation media (i.e. CD or DVD or network source) and letting Anaconda run the upgrade. However, I've heard several folks say that they were able to use yum to do it. I've also heard a lot of horror stories about yum upgrades going wrong.

Me, I'd make a good backup (maybe two), pop in FC3 disk 1 and reboot. The installer is really pretty smart and it seems you are more likely to get help from the developers using it.

Thomas