Re: FC3: Gnome desktop seems to have disappeared

Bertrand reported:
> I have the same problem as previously reported by Dave (see here).
> Unfortunately my desktop is not turning back 80% of the time like
> Dave's. By 80% I mean that, from time to time, when I restart the
> computer, I get the desktop back but most of the time nothing. By
> nothing I mean my panel, etc, seem to be in place but I don't see My
> computer, trash, etc. icons and I have no wallpaper. Nautilus does not
> launch if i try to. I have not been able to see any error messages.
>
> I am running FC3 standard with all the up2date applied and no SELinux.
> This is a clean scratch FC3 install. During 2 weeks i did not have
> that problem. It appeared a couple of days ago and I have been unable
> to find a solution.

and later added:
> I have tried your idea: changing themes, deleting .gnome, .gnome2
> and .gnome2_private. I've also tried to delete .gconf and .nautilus
> But the problem is still there.
> I really don't know what to do. Anyone has an idea ?

Can I just clarify: you've done that when you *aren't* logged (as a
normal user)?

Can I clarify that you're using Gnome, not KDE?

Can you add a test user and see what happens to that user?

Personally, I don't recommend deleting .config files in situations like
this; I prefer to move them to a spare directory just in case I find I
need something out of them.

Have you tried .gtkrc-1.2-gnome2?

Can you log out, note the time, log in, and do a
ls -lartu ~
The end of that list will show you what the system has read since you
logged in.

Hope this helps,

James.
--
E-mail address: james | We still have enough spare cardboard sitting around
@westexe.demon.co.uk  | to send a bus by Parcelforce, although not enough