Re: Still a complete system freeze when low on virtual memory..

>> If I run a memory intensive application and accidentally start a second instance
>> in a different window, the computer freezes completely and needs a hard-reset
>> with Fedora 3.
>>
>> In previous times, I could often at least kill the X-server and all applications
>> with Ctrl+Alt+Backspace, or even better just close the console where I started
>> the program. But no luck anymore nowadays..
>>

>What video card you use? If it is nvidia do you use their driver?
>I had problems with it nvidia. Give more details about your hardware,
>kernel and the application. Do you run it as root?

You are right, it's an nVIDIA Geforce4 with driver 66.29:
server glx vendor string: NVIDIA Corporation
OpenGL renderer string: GeForce4 Ti 4400/AGP/SSE2
OpenGL version string: 1.5.2 NVIDIA 66.29

Kernel is 2.6.9-1.667

The application is e.g. this trivial program, run as any user:
(I have 512MB physical memory and 5GB swap (as I am about to upgrade to 2 GB phys.mem)):

#include <stdlib.h>
#define MEMSIZE (300*1024*1024)

int main(int argc, char **argv)
{ char *mem;

  mem=malloc(MEMSIZE);
  while (1)
  { memset(mem,0,MEMSIZE); } }

If I run it twice in parallel, I freeze.

> You also can slow down the system and make it respond many hours
>later easy... use crtl-sysrq-<X> combination to remount ro, sync your
>disks and reboot in such cases (enable in /etc/sysctl.conf).

Thanks a lot, that's the hint I was looking for. Great! (Just used it after running the test program above ;-)

Greetings,
Elmar

--
Elmar Krieger, PhD
YASARA Biosciences & CMBI Outstation Austria

                Ww
              c(@@)c
=WHAT IF YASARA knows the answer?!=
=----- http://www.yasara.org -----=