Re: How should the clipboard work? (or: why doesn't it work?)

On 12:00 18 Dec 2004, Brian Mury <b.mury@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
| On Sat, 2004-18-12 at 13:11 +0100, nodata wrote:
| > 1. Load gedit, type some text.
| > 2. Copy or cut the text to the clipboard and close gedit.
| >
| > Question: From the desktop users point of view, should the text still be
| > available?
|
| I think so, and I find it really annoying that it isn't.

It may annoy you, but that's X11 for you. Clippings (well, selections)
are kept on the app, and in fact are never sent unless requested by the
paste action, when the receiving app asks the source app for data in
a particular format. For most things this is text, but the mechanism
doesn't require it to be and for this reason the data stay with the
source app because only it knows how to do arbitrary data conversions
of its own data.

There are apps that will watch this stuff and grab it, producing a
Windowsish cut/paste behaviour. I've never felt much need for them.
One might ask, why have you closed your editor? Just save your data and
if you want it off your desktop, iconify it!

Cheers,
--
Cameron Simpson <cs@xxxxxxxxxx> DoD#743
http://www.cskk.ezoshosting.com/cs/

If the Universe is constantly expanding, why can't I ever find a parking space?