Re: kernel modules

On Sat, 2004-12-18 at 09:04 -0500, g.tilghman@xxxxxxx wrote:
> I cannot find how to use the modules listed in:
>
> /lib/modules/2.6.9-1.667/kernel/drivers/scsi/
>
> Commands like insmod and lsmod dont work for some reason.  I get an
> error message:  BASH:  insmod:  command not found.
>
> I can find nothing in System Tools or System Settings to load these
> modules.

The commands insmod, lsmod, modprobe, rmmod etc. are in /sbin.
Generally, this directory is not on your path unless you have become the
root user by going through the login process. That means if you use "su"
you must use "su -" to do it, or you will have to directly manipulate
your path.

So are you saying you have a SCSI adapter in this computer that isn't
being recognized, the driver for it is not being loaded? And therefore
the devices attached to this SCSI adapter cannot be accessed? You will
need to know what is the correct driver for your SCSI adapter. If this
adapter wasn't picked up during installation of Fedora, then it may not
be supported. If you added the SCSI adapter after installation, then you
will probably want to add an alias to your /etc/modprobe.conf for it
like so (substituting the correct module name):

alias scsi_hostadapter aic7xxx

Then when you boot your system, the driver module will get loaded for
you (you may need to make a new initrd). And if you have other SCSI
adapters the one you add should have incrementing numbers appended like
so:

alias scsi_hostadapter1 sata_via

--
C. Linus Hicks <lhicks at nc dot rr dot com>