FC and Autologout

I need a way to force a logout of any user (including root) after a period
of inactivity.  The xscreensaver won't do it for root.

The xscreensaver manual is adamant that no one should ever login from the
xdm/gdm screen as root.  Well, sometimes I'm lazy and I do.  And being very
forgetful, I may go off somewhere and not come back until tomorrow.  In the
meantime, the cleaning crew, for one, has had unrestricted access to my
whole system of Linux boxes.

The issue is not what is the correct thing to do procedurally as a person,
but how can I lock down an obvious security weakness: a forgetful slacker as
root (non-malicious)?

Maybe I should go back to text login screens, startx, etc., but I don't want
to if I don't have to.

Thanks.

Tom Browder