Re: SLOW network on FC3 (2nd)

JonVO wrote:

Thanks Bill for the tip. Unfortunately I succesfully implemented the sysctl change to little effect. Download speed now a whopping 1KB/sec on the Sun website, close to 196K on the Win2k box. ifconfig says my eth0 is running multicast, no errors or collisions.
JonVO

If you have 2 or more machines handy, you might want to run some tests between machines ignoring your Internet connection for the moment. If machine to machine behind your router is also slow, then that would isolate the issue a bit more. If machine to machine is fast, then it has to do with your Internet connection.

Try running some large ping packets between the FC3 and another box. Try running some regular ping packets too. I've seen packet size cause issues. For the moment, use only IP addresses not names to avoid name resolution issues, and also tell ping not to resolve names. You can run these ping tests against your Internet router also to see if packet size has any effect.

You might try to use a cross over cable between 2 boxes to also eliminate any issues concerning a switch/hub.

--
Bill Gradwohl
bill@xxxxxxx