Re: changing default editor

On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 15:59:23 -0500, Samuel J. Irlapati
<Samuel.Irlapati@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>  I have tried using "gnome-default-applications-properties" to change my
> default editor to "vi". This change does not stick. Do any of you know what
> is wrong?
>
>  Samuel

I've tried that and had the same problem.
"gnome-default-applications-properties" reports
a warning msg whenever I tried to change the default editor:
---------------
(gnome-default-applications-properties:19227): libgnomevfs-WARNING **:
Deprecated function.  User modifications to the MIME database are no
longer supported.
---------------
Seems this program uses a deprecated function which is no longer able to have
access to mime database
According to the gnome help section Desktop/System Admin Guide/MIME Types,
we can change the default associated apps manually. The related config files are
/usr/share/mime-info/*.keys
In my system the default editor for "text/plain" is "gedit". The
*.keys files containing
"gedit" are gnome-vfs.keys and gedit.keys. In the former there are 6 lists where
"gedit" appears, each 3 as a group describing default editors for
"text/*" and "text/plain"
respectively. I inserted "gvim"  to the head of each list and move
gedit.keys to another
place, hoping that can force the system to use gvim as the default
editor. However this
doesn't work. There should be other places such kinds of info are
stored but I haven't
figured out where. It seems the docs do not metion it.

-Liux