Re: DOS boot disk (for flashing BIOS)?

On Thu, 16 Dec 2004, Christopher J. Bottaro wrote:

> How do I make a DOS boot disk to flash my BIOS?  Also, the flash files are
> packed in a .exe file (a self extracting executable, I imagine).  How do I
> unpack that in Linux?
>
> I've always had a Windows machine handy, so this situation never arose till
> now.

Make a windows bootfloppy image. I always have a Windows 95 bootfloppy
image available to start off with. You can make this image by doing:

	dd if=/dev/fd0 of=dos-floppy.img

if you have a bootable floppy available. Then loop-mount that image, by
doing:

	mount -o loop dos-floppy.img /media/floppy

Now you can remove unnecessary files from /media/floppy and add your .exe
files. If you have a Windows 95 or Windows 98 bootfloppy that creates a
ramdisk, it may safe you some extra work when you have to unzip this
self-executable archive.

You don't actually need a floppy-drive or a floppy to boot this image. You
can use memdisk to boot from this image directly. Just add a grub or lilo
entry, and use memdisk as the kernel and your bootdisk image as the
initrd.

Kind regards,
--   dag wieers,  dag@xxxxxxxxxx,  http://dag.wieers.com/   --