Re: Libraries in /usr/X11R6/lib64 but not in /usr/X11R6/lib for the AMD X86-64 cpu

Jonathan Ryshpan writes:

I recently installed Adobe's acroread.  It didn't work, because the
libraries /usr/X11R6/lib/libXp.so.6, /usr/X11R6/lib/libXp.so,
and /usr/X11R6/lib/libXp.so.6.2 are missing.  Similar libraries exist
in /usr/X11R6/lib64.  I copied in these libraries (for /usr/lib/X11R6)
from a version of FC3 for X86, and (to my great surprise!) acroread now
works.

Is there some reason why these libraries are missing?

You did not install the 32bit versions of the X libs.

                                                       Is it harmful in
some way for them to be on the system.  If so, how?

It's certainly surprising that shoving a 64bit library in place of a 32bit library actually works; there are probably some hidden bug that will show up sooner or later, and bite you in the ass.

                                                    Is there a plan to
release an upgrade to FC3 for the X86-64 processors which would contain
the missing libraries?

FC2 for X86_64 includes both 32bit and 64bit builds of xorg-x11-libs, so I expect that FC3 also has both 32bit and 64bit builds.

All you need to do is install the 32bit RPM, and you're all set.

Note that there have been a couple of erratas for xorg-x11, so you should simply pull everything from the update channel.