Re: Triggering the website to send Spam

On Wed, 2004-12-15 at 14:29, Littleguru wrote:
> ello
>
> I know that I can block the source of spam attack through
> firewall , but what can I do about the sites that have been
> triggered to send spam .the site is innocent but spammers are
> using it for sending spam , so I dont want to suspend that site.
> Do you know how to accomplish this, and how they trigger
> another site to send spam ? and how we can prevent this ?
> any link , help or hint will be greatly appreciated.

Hi

I have found two types of attacks like this affecting my servers.  One
has been covered in this thread and that is domain spoofing.  The best
way to stop it is that the return emails should contain full headers
including the originating SMTP server IP.  Contact the admins of that
server and tell them what is going on and they should help you  find the
spammers. But laws where the spammers or the severs resides will be in
effect and you might have trouble getting more from them but basic
info.  Other than this there is very little you can do.

The other one I found that was fun to track down was that someone used a
nice little php script to spoof domains (again not much the domains
themselves could do as they weren't located on my server) and send from
one of my servers as nobody.  1000s of emails in hours.  It was bogging
down my server but eventually we found it.  The grepping the domlogs for
the script name showed me what IP accessed that file and then again
getting any real resolution depends on the local laws where the spammer
resides.

This one tho removing the script and blocking the IP accessing the
script effectively put a stop to them on my servers (can't say if they
moved to another).

--
Mike Ramirez <mike@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>