process in DW state

Hi,

I've got this on a machine:

[root@server root]# ps auxw|grep DW
root     27576  0.0  0.0  6020    0 ?        DW   Aug07   0:00 [sendmail]

Trying to do the usual kill -9 27576 fails, and searching for this doesn't
turn up much concrete yet, except an old Sun users list archive from the
early 1990s which says:

        "Apparently processes in the 'DW' state are in the kernel waiting
for an event (in this case from the tape drive) at a priority higher than
the priority at which signals are received. Therefore the signals will be
queued until the event being waited for occurs (making it immune to all
signals!)."

Anyone know a way to drop this process without a reboot? It's got me very
curious on how to do that, as I can't recall ever having seen a DW process
before.

Regards,
Joe