Re: How do I set up konsole to use ISO-8859-1 and not UTF-8

Alexander Dalloz wrote:
Am Do, den 16.12.2004 schrieb Kristian André Gallis um 2:47:

I use pine mail reader to read my e-mail messages at the university I attend, from my laptop in my home. I have Fedora 3.

I don't care if the rest of my system use UTF-8 character coding, but my university use ISO-8859-1 with the result that the Norwegian special letters displays wrongly, with small error messages everywhere.

Is there a solution? Can I make konsole use ISO-8859-1?

If you need ISO locale for pine, then you could create an alias in your
~/.bashrc file:

alias isopine='LANG=C pine'

Or instead of LANG=C use your national locale, mine would be de_DE@euro.

Thanks, but the remote pine I run already have ISO-8859-1

Is "konsole" the KDE terminal? Then it may have an option like the Gnome
terminal, where I can say from menu bar to change the terminal encoding.

Yes, I forgot to mention that I use KDE. And konsole does not have the possibility to change encoding from the menu bar.

Earlier (when I had Fedora 2) I walked around the problem with just ssh-ing over there and starting an xterm on the remote machine. But after I installed Fedora 3 I get the following error message when trying to run a remote xterm window:

xterm Xt error: Can't open display:

ps axuwwww | grep nolisten

This shows X running with "-nolisten tcp"? This is already the default
setting with FC2. You can change that in the gdm settings.

[root@localhost ~]# ps axuwwww | grep nolisten
root 3066 2.0 8.8 125676 45716 ? S 02:12 1:51 /usr/X11R6/bin/X :0 -audit 0 -auth /var/gdm/:0.Xauth -nolisten tcp vt7
root 9643 0.0 0.1 5144 648 pts/2 R+ 03:42 0:00 grep nolisten

Which program do I use to change gdm settings?

gdm              gdmflexiserver   gdmphotosetup    gdmXnest
gdm-binary       gdmgreeter       gdmsetup         gdmXnestchooser
gdmchooser       gdmlogin         gdmthemetester

Kr.A.