Re: FC3 sound issue

Around about 15/12/2004 14:17, pavlos kairis (pakair) typed ...
After I reboot, sound does not play. I always have to run the
system-config-soundcard ONCE, click that I heard the wav and then my
system plays sounds fine. Is there a {file, device} that the
system-config-soundcard updates?

I had this, and still have some side-effects, after upgrading from FC1 , on which I had the ALSA stuff running from informal, manual updates (from FreshRPMs) to FC2 which had ALSA formally in as part of kernel 2.6.

IIRC, the problem for me was that the /dev devices used by the formal 2.6 ALSA are different to those used by the old, and the new ones weren't in the /etc/security/console.perms (which lets you use those devices when you log in, and which I'd customised). I found the (obvious, now) console.perms.rpmnew lying next to it which showed the changes to make.

My side effects now are that I seem to get dummy ALSA settings at boot with most stuff muted. I have to either run the alsa mixer by hand & turn everything back on/up or run 'alsactl restore', which I'm not *sure* always works for me. I've not go to the bottom of this yet. It looks like the pre-load alsactl calls are not happening/failing, probably due to my prior FreshRPMs alsa config.

I'm setting up an FC3 box afresh in a week, and I'll then compare the modules.conf/modprobe.conf files (what's the diff.?).

--
[neil@fnx ~]# rm -f .signature
[neil@fnx ~]# ls -l .signature