Re: RPM Trouble

On Sat, 11 Dec 2004 14:44:31 +0000
Michael Bhola <mike@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> My RPM database seems to be screwed. The normal rm __db* rpm
> --rebuilddb doesn't seem to help. rpm -qa now returns only a handful
> of packages. /var/lib/rpm/Packages seems far too small. Any other way
> of recovering the RPM database ?

It's a little bit messy (and probably slow), but if you still have
install.log in root's home directory then for each rpm in there you
could do:

rpm -ivh --justdb <filename>

If you've installed/updated anything since install time, or you no
longer have install.log, you could try

find / -xdev -type f -exec rpm -qf {} \; | \
	grep "not owned by any package"

(if /usr or /var are on seperate partitions, repeat for them).
Look for anything in there (particularly under /usr) that you think
should be owned by a package and re-install that package.

Regards,

Chris