Re: fstab for CDROM

On Tue, 2004-12-14 at 22:34, Wong Kwok-hon wrote:
> On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 17:47:43 +0800, Ow Mun Heng <Ow.Mun.Heng@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> > On Tue, 2004-12-14 at 16:11, Wong Kwok-hon wrote:
> > > Hello!
> > >
> > > I would like to ask what statement is suitable for user to mount the
> > > CD (like VCD, CDs) in fstab file ?
> > >
> > > Is it :
> > > /dev/cdrom              /media/cdrom          udf,iso9660
> > > noauto,owner,kudzu,ro 0 0
> > > or
> > > system default
> > > /dev/hdc                /media/cdrom            auto
> > > pamconsole,exec,noauto,managed 0 0
> >
> > /dev/cdrom              /mnt/cdrom                      iso9660
> > user,unhide,noauto,owner,kudzu,ro       0 0
> Are u using this in fstab ?
> Does it meant user can mount the cdrom? But I don't know about the
> option owner, kudzu and "0 0"

Yep.. That's what is says on my Fc2 box.
(Gentoo is a bit different) :-)

man mount

 The owner option is similar to the user option, with the restriction
that  the  user must be the owner of the special file. This may be
useful e.g. for /dev/fd if a login script makes the console user owner
of this device.

kudzu is just Fedora's Configuration wizard.

0 0, that's the dump flag and check flag

man fstab

 The  fifth  field, (fs_freq), is used for these filesystems by the
dump(8) command to deter-mine which filesystems need to be dumped.  If
the fifth field is not  present,  a  value  of zero is returned and dump
will assume that the filesystem does not need to be dumped.

       The sixth field, (fs_passno), is used by the fsck(8) program to
determine the order in which filesystem checks are done at reboot time.
The root filesystem should be specified  with  a  fs_passno  of  1,  and
other filesystems should have a fs_passno of 2.  Filesystems within a
drive will be checked sequentially, but filesystems on different drives
will be  checked  at the  same  time to utilize parallelism available in
the hardware.  If the sixth field is not  present or zero, a value of
zero is returned and fsck will assume that the  filesystem  does  not
need to be checked.

Dude.. you _really_ need to start reading man pages.

--
Ow Mun Heng
Gentoo/Linux on D600 1.4Ghz