Re: hostid gives identical values on all FC machines

On Tue, 14 Dec 2004, Ulrich Drepper wrote:

> Matthew Saltzman wrote:
>
> > But MAC address is not bad
>
> And the MAC of which card?  Face it, there is no other reliable way than
> to use a hostid file.

The primary (eth0 in Linux) that the machine shipped with (not so
unreasonable for Suns), or that was installed at the time the license key
was generated.  An alternative might be a hard disk serial number, except
that low-level system calls are probably needed in order to get it.

I didn't claim it was perfect (eth0 and eth1 on my laptop flipped when I
installed FC3).  The hostid file is reliable in the sense that it provides
a fixed hostid, but it's not a reliable way to identify a machine to a
license manager.

--
		Matthew Saltzman

Clemson University Math Sciences