Re: how can you check if ipv6 is actually 'working'?

On Tue, Dec 14, 2004 at 01:32:32PM +0100, Alexander Volovics wrote:
> FC3 comes with ipv6 on by default, at least /sbin/lsmod shows
> ipv6 running. But how can you check if it actually works and
> is being used.

	No...  FC3, like FC2 have it on by "accident".  If you check
the routing tables and a few other things that are set up when you
enable IPv6, you will find they are not.  What has happened is that
some application, at start up, has referenced AF_INET6 or PF_INET6
and the kernel has obligingly loaded it.  But it hasn't been properly
configured.  For an end node, it's pretty damn close.  It will
autoconfigure, if there is an advertising router.  Otherwise, you're
not in good shape.

> Furthermore where can you 'stop' and 'start' it and how.
> (Not disable it, I know that you can do that via /etc/modprobe.conf).

	No...  I can not be started and stopped.  In fact, you have to
reboot the machine to disable it once you've modified /etc/modprobe.conf.

> Alexander

	Mike
--
 Michael H. Warfield    |  (770) 985-6132   |  mhw@xxxxxxxxxxxx