Re: suexec and Apache 2.0.52 ?

I am using Apache 2 with suexec enabled at my web server. OS is RHEL 3, but I hope Fedora people also knows the solution.

It is though not the right list to ask this.

The reason I chose fedora-list was because it is my desktop OS and FC3 contains httpd and httpd-suexec. So it should be somehow configured. But I am new to this and don't understand.

I compiled the stuff by downloading httpd-2.0.52.tar.gz from httpd.apache.org and putting it into /usr/src/redhat/SOURCES
rpmbuild -bb SPECS/httpd.spec (the spec from the tar.gz) gave me rpms in RPMS/i386

Normal websites run OK with old httpd.conf. I added a new virtual host with parameter for suexec:

SuexecUserGroup Uname Gname

But the server ran only as usual user of httpd - in my configuration it is apache. SuexecUserGroup did not change anything, even though /var/log/httpd/error_log says httpd started with suexec enabled, as manual says. /usr/sbin/suexec seem to have right permissions.

What might be the problem?

Probably a misconception about what suEXEC does. Please read

http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/suexec.html

carefully. suEXEC does _not_ cause the vhost to run as different
user/group. I guess you would want

http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/mod/perchild.html

but as the site clearly says, this module isn't stable/usable yet.

I created a test.php for running at virtual host, but with it, I could not write a test file in the user's directory, because of permissions. So I figured it out that php did not execute under the username I needed.

Timothy.