Re: Hot machine

El mar, 14-12-2004 a las 09:37 -0200, Cosme Corrêa escribió:
> I want do not have my machine on fire.
> I like slow down, sound alarm or everything else.
> I like alarm. How to setup?
> Can I configure sensors for automatic shutdown? How to do it?

First of all, discard a hardware problem. If hardware is failing, and
you program your computer to turn off automatically, probably will be
offline most of the time. Your computer gets hot because something is
generating heat. If powersource, put your computer on a ventilated
place, or change powersource. Install more vents, if neccesary. The room
is hot? Not enough air:) ? powersource too loaded? Are ventilator axis'
lubricated? Are ventilation holes free (a lot of people covers
ventilation holes on pcs and monitors, and obviously, get hardware
burnt)? WHY are the computer so hot? (forget the alarm, it is useful, it
is saying "Check system, please, something is burning me...")

Smartd can send you emails or execute procedures when you need.

# man smartd

--
Rodolfo Alcázar (rodolfo.alcazar@xxxxxxxxxxxx)
Administrador datos y red - Padep/GTZ