Re: Network Card Installation FC3

On Mon, 13 Dec 2004, Andoni wrote:

> all
> just
> > > >

> > > This just get's stranger and stranger! I did that and it stopped only
> the
> > > loopback: perfect. Then /etc/init.d/network start and it started both
> > > loopback and eth0, perfect. So then I did ifconfig and it gave me only
> the
> > > loopback.
> > >
> > > I tried the stop again and it only had the loopback to stop!
> > >
> > > Andoni.
> > >

> > When you ran netconfig did you select dhcp?  If not, try it and it will
> > rebuild all the network files for you and hopefully it was just some
> > munged files.  If that doesn't work then it might
> > not be reading the card driver.  You might have to load the module
> > manually.  Do an lsmod to make sure the ethernet card module is loaded.
> > Also type lspci as root and make sure your card is being detected.
>
> What am I looking for in lsmod?
>
> Andoni.

The ethernet card kernel module.  ie. For me lspci gives my my ethernet
card as:

waldemar (user: root)  (time= 14:59:42)
 > ~ # lspci
00:09.0 Ethernet controller: National Semiconductor Corporation DP83815
(MacPhyter) Ethernet Controller

lsmod just lists all your loaded kernel modules.

I know the module for my card  is 'natsemi' so that needs to be loaded.

waldemar (user: root)  (time= 13:06:03)
 > ~ # lsmod
Module                  Size  Used by
natsemi                21344  0

if it wasn't I would add the following line to my
/etc/modprobe.conf file:
alias eth0 natsemi

I believe the module for your card is 3c501 (this is just from memory)

type 'modprobe 3c501' as root to load up the module.

If everything works add this line to your /etc/modprobe.conf file:
alias eth0 3c501