X & Driver questions.

Hopefully this doesnt come across as a dumb question.  I see that in
FC3 its using x.org and in older releases it was xfree86. I can see
from reading that these are different but do drivers for one work for
the other? I'm specificaly thinking of the Radeon 9800. FC3 is working
beautifuly (even dual head) but it doesnt look like it has OpenGL (or
its not enabled). I wanted to try the ATI driver but it says its for
xfree86.

Rob