Re: Terminal services alternatives

Ben Steeves wrote:
The problem is the original poster wants to do this with *thin
clients* on the client end, not full-blown PCs with Windows or Linux
and an X server on them.  That's why I suggested SunRays.

I'm looking at Sun's web site right now, and SunRay price (just for hardware) is preatty much at and above the price of entry-level PC with decent monitor. Hack, SunRay with 17" CRT is more than what I paid for P4 Dell with 17" LCD couple of days ago. There's no any savings in going that way. Buy entry-level PC, put a Linux on it, and make it to act as an X-Terminal. Voila, you get thin client using standard PC components. You can even make it diskless PC if you are into it. Maybe not packaged into nice little cute box (which is possible with PC too, but would raise the price, hm, or maybe not if you shop around), but basically the same thing.

There's a reason why nobody (or almost nobody?) is making X-Terminals anymore. PC prices are simple way too low to make any sense of selling dedicated X-Terminal boxes.

I can't find on Sun's Web site anything about protocols that are used between SunRay and server. Is it standard X11? Something propriatory that you need to buy licenses for? Does it support XDMCP? It just says "here's this nice cute little box, and we recommend SunRay server 3 (extra $$$ for per-user licenses)".

I don't know if anybody is selling real X-Terminals anymore. If there is, and he wants to have it simple without buying licenses for propriatory solutions, that might be another choice (as long as it is cheaper than entry-level PC).

--
Aleksandar Milivojevic <amilivojevic@xxxxxx>    Pollard Banknote Limited