Re: Problem creating FC3 CD's

On 12/12/2004 11:21:53 PM, Lin Tse Hsu wrote:

Hi Michael. I tried speed=8. Incredibly, this worked. The speed actually got set to 8. speed=2 and speed=4 ended up getting me 48x, which was too fast for the CDR media that I was using. Very silly.

Yes. I will see if there is a cdrtools bug for this, and if not and I can duplicate it - then I will report one. If you select a speed below 8 it should not default to fastest speed, but slowest that is valid.

cdrecord 1.10 must have some kind of override if it
thinks that the hardware can handle the higher rate.

I think what happens is that if it isn't a multiple ox 8x it defaults to the next lower multiple of 8x but 0x is not valid so it uses fastest or something.

But, it still did not work. speed=8 generated lots of bad copies that failed linux mediacheck. So, I tried the other options, -dao and -pad. I don't know which one it was, but I succeeded on the first try.

My guess is that your burns w/0 -dao/-pad were actually good burns despite failing media check.
Apparently a bug in the kernel ide driver causes the media check to fail on ATAPI cd drives if not burned with padding, even though they are good burns.