Re: Fedora Core 3 Crashes During Installation

On 12/12/2004 09:37:36 PM, Jonathan Berry wrote:
On Mon, 13 Dec 2004 00:19:57 -0500, Bernard Barton <bfb21@xxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
> While attempting to upgrade a FC2 installation on my
> Dell Dimension 4600, I reach the point where it says
> "Transferring image to hard drive", then, after the
> crashes after completing about 12% of the installation.
> I also noticed the following warning during installing:
>
> warning: package kernel = 2.6.9-1.667 was already added, replacing
> with kernel <= 2.6.9-1.667

Looks like your FC2 install had an updated kernel.  There have been a
couple of kernel upgrades for FC3, so the one you are installing is
older than the newest FC2 one.

This is why I always make /home separate from / and always do a "fresh install" but don't format /home.

I don't know specifically that that is the problem here, but fresh installs definitely don't have that issue.

Another possibility - once way back I had a RH install that would crash when installing packages - usually glibc but not always.

The problem was with the hard drive, swapped it out and installs went fine. Doubt that is the issue here, but thought it was worth mentioning.