Re: network printer probs in fc3 vs fc2

Am Mo, den 13.12.2004 schrieb Alexander Dalloz um 2:32:

> Btw. you could check your Netgear's serial number and maybe there is a
> chance to upgrade it's firmware. See
>
> http://kbserver.netgear.com/support_details.asp?dnldID=809
>
> For the PS11F series there is a good chance to fix things by flashing
> with a newer firmware. I have a PS11D model and will right now see whats
> my print server's firmware state.

Report about this issue:

I had firmware version 6017 on my Netgear PS110. So I updated to latest
version 6025 on my model from series PS11D (second revision) to see what
changes. I now have AppleTalk support now. Regarding tcp port usage and
iptables there is no change. With luck you have a device from series
PS11F and you can upgrade to firmware 6028. As it fixes

"Fixed that LPR cannot print when Windows XP SP1 firewall is enabled."

it may help too on other OS like Linux.

I still observe the "ACK PSH SYN" answer sequence when talking to the
print server on port 515. Allowing that with

-A RH-Firewall-1-INPUT -p tcp -m tcp --tcp-flags ACK,PSH,SYN ACK,PSH,SYN
-s 192.168.0.99 --sport 515 -j ACCEPT

helps to fix this. That is just half of the price. Then when printing
the PS110 tries to answer back from source port 515 to the privileged
port 1023 on the printing Fedora host. Though the default iptables setup
does not distinguish between the privileged low ports up to 1023 and the
high ports 1024 and above, the firewall blocks this traffic. This causes
a long delay until printing starts. So I added following line

-A RH-Firewall-1-INPUT -s 192.168.0.99 -p tcp -m tcp --dport 1023 -j
ACCEPT

and all is fine.

Maybe it helps you Steve or anyone else finding this notes from the
archive (googling) ;)

Alexander

Fedora GNU/Linux Core 2 (Tettnang) on Athlon kernel 2.6.9-1.6_FC2smp
Serendipity 04:16:25 up 2 days, 22:57, load average: 2.42, 2.32, 1.96