LVM trouble?

I have an FC3 system, that was happy, but is now unhappy.  This may be
related to someone, who shall remain nameless, having shut off the power
on it without doing an orderly shutdown.  Then again, maybe it was
because of a "yum -y update", because I put off rebooting for a while
after that.

Anyway, now when it tries to boot, I see:

Red Hat nash version 4.1.18 starting
  Reading all physical volumes.  This may take a while...
  Found volume group "VolGroup00" using metadata type lvm2
  2 logical volume(s) in volume group "VolGroup00" now active

...and that's it.  I've left it there for over and hour, and it never
gets past that.

I booted off of an FC3 rescue cd, and found that I could mount the /boot
partition, but I cannot mount the / partition.  I ran various lvm
commands that identified two lvm volumes on the system.
fsck'ing /dev/hda2 (which is /) is getting me no where though - it just
says "invalid argument".

I tried firing up device mapper and udev in order to get
a /dev/VolGroup00 directory, but it just wouldn't do it - at least, not
with the things I tried.  I could mkdir the directory, but then "lvm
vgmknodes" would remove it.

What do I need to do to get past this?  There's stuff in the filesystem
I want quite a bit.  :-S

I tried all 3 FC3 kernels I have on the system, but none would come up,
getting stuck at that same point.

Thanks!