Re: Terminal services alternatives

On Sat, 11 Dec 2004, RoboticGolem wrote:

> On Sat, 11 Dec 2004 21:19:29 -0500 (EST), Tom Diehl <tdiehl@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I was wondering if anyone knows of a linux based solution to Terminal Services
> > or Citirx? I am aware of the LTSP but as I understand things, that still
> > requires a PC on the desktop and more importantly a high bandwidth connection
> > to the server. I am looking for something that from a user standpoint
> > "just works" and works well. I thought about looking into doing something
> > with vnc but 1) you still need a pc on the desktop and 2) at least on windoze
> > vnc is not always the most responsive application. Admittedly I have never run
> > it with linux acting as a server. 3) vnc is a very insecure program and would
> > require some sort of tunnel and most likely you would need to login twice.
> > Not very convienient.
> >
> > I would like to be able to have a server somewhere connected to the internet via
> > a T1. Clients would be connected to the internet via some type of broadband
> > connection (no dialup). The clients ideally would be something along the lines
> > of a winterm or thinstar. I know this type of thing is easially done with
> > windoze terminal services, or windoze termianl services and citirx depending
> > on exactly what you need, but is there a linux equivelent?
> >
> > Suggestions??
> >
> > Tom
> >
> > --
> >
> I'm not entirely sure what your asking for, but on my servers I use a
> (an) ssh connection, it gets me in, and anything I need done on a
> server, I can do from the console.  I'm not sure if this is what your
> looking for, but I HAVE to run windows on my personal workstation at
> work because of the devices connected to it(industrial machines).  I
> have the server run linux and I use putty to ssh in when I need to.
> (which isnt often mind you)
>
> Not sure if thats what your asking,

Ssh is just fine for me. I have been using it for years. What I need is
something that works like the windoze remote desktop/terminal server only
with a linux server and linux clients. It has to work over relatively low
bandwidth, ie a wan where typically you might only have between 256kbps
and 1.5 Mbps. The Xterms and ssh port forwarding solutions that I have
worked with work with are painful to say the least on such connections.
They work fine when you have a high bandwidth connection such as you would
find on a LAN.

Thanks anyway,

Regards,

Tom