Re: [RESOLVED] A long, strange FC3 problem (an nVidia / Radeon problem)

On Sat, 11 Dec 2004 22:07:13 -0700, Summer Brooks <brooksj@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I say resolved, because the problem is definitely not solved, but
> my issues with FC3 as originally posted here a little over a week
> ago are no longer an issue.
>
> Initially, after an upgrade from RH9 to FC3, my monitor would lock
> up during the switch to the login panel from boot messages, and the
> desktop would lock up during normal use.   The login panel freeze up
> could be resolved by unplugging the monitor -- when plugged back in,
> the Fedora login screen would be there, and normal login procedures
> could be attempted.
>
> The lockups during normal use could only be resolved by hard booting
> the machine, and for the most part seemed to happen whenever I
> was using a web-based form (blog interface, Yahoo Mail interface, etc).
>
> I initially erroneously thought this had something to do with my
> adding packages to be able to use exmh, because the behavior didn't
> assert itself until after I'd added those packages, suffered a crash
> and rebooted.
>
> Turns out the problem might be video card related.
>
> Something about Xorg or FC3 did not want to play nice with my 19"
> Viewsonic VX900-2 LCD monitor and the nVidia GeForce 440 MX card,
> which was in the AGP slot.  A replacement ATI Radeon 9200SE AGP
> card exhibited the same behavior, in both situations listed above.
>
> A replacement Radeon 9200SE PCI card did not exhibit the usage
> behavior during 5 days of consistent use, and attempts to do the
> same things that had locked up the system previously did not produce
> repeat behavior.  The login panel lockup did happen with the Radeon
> PCI card, but I have fixed that problem... with a DVI cable.
>
> I'd been using the SVGA cable under RH9, and a little while ago,
> I shut down the system to switch it out and use the DVI connector
> instead.
>
> Imagine my surprise when the system switched from text-based boot
> messages to the login panel without a hitch.
>
> So this is either an AGP problem, or a problem with signals being
> used over the SVGA cable.  I honestly no longer care not, because my
> system works now... even the 200Gb Seagate USB/Firewire drive worked
> first time out  :)   I may at some point get curious enough to
> plug the nVidia back in and use the DVI cable to see if the problem
> still pops up, but that's unlikely.
>
> Thanks for the suggestions while I was debugging this issue... and
> I hope someone takes a deeper look at what's going on here.  It's
> definitely wacky.

I dont know if this helps you at all, but I have had all the same
problems you have.  All the way down to the same problems on a 9200
but not on a pci.  I found to problems resolved when I disabled agp
all together.  I only know how to do this with the commercial nvidia
driver:  "option" "NVAgp" "0"  Havent had a problem since.  Over 2
weeks up.  (I still have to boot into windows every now and again.  =(
 but well see about that)  No even questionable activity and the
system has been rock solid.

-Matt