Re: editing fstab file ??

On Sun, 2004-12-12 at 18:02 +0100, Sasa Stupar wrote:
> Jim a écrit :
>
> > i would like to mount my second hard drive
> > it doesn't show up in the mnt folder
> > any help would be great
> >

> You need to create a folder under /mnt before mounting drive eg:
> /mnt/disk2 and then you mount /dev/hdx /mnt/disk2

You may also want to check out some options you have for doing this.
Disk drives support partition tables, and while it is possible to mount
a disk drive without a partition table, you will have more flexibility
with one. That is, you will be able to create multiple partitions that
are individually mountable. If you don't know how to do that, you can
read about it in the fdisk manpage. Be aware that having created
partitions, you must also make a filesystem in those partitions using
something like mke2fs, for example.

You may also want to check out the filesystem hierarchy standard:

http://www.pathname.com/fhs/pub/fhs-2.3.html

Linus