Re: RIVA128 and color settings

fedora-list-request@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:

Message: 4
Date: Fri, 10 Dec 2004 11:14:47 -0500
From: Bob Chiodini <chiodr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: RIVA128 and color settings
To: For users of Fedora Core releases <fedora-list@xxxxxxxxxx>

On Fri, 2004-12-10 at 10:44, Mark Bradford wrote:

I have a RIVA128 on a dual boot system running FC2 and WinXP. On the fedora side I am unable to set the colors above 256, but the XP driver runs at the highest setting with no problem. I've gotten used to the other limitations of the RIVA card in Fedora, but it seems like I should be able to set the color depth at a higher level for a more attractive display. I've tried adjusting the settings via both system-config-display and manually going into the xorg.conf file, but if I bump up the setting x fails to start. Any suggestions of how to fix the problem, or any suggestions of an inexpensive replacement that would provide 3D support w/o dealing with the nvidia driver disaster?

Thanks,
Mark

Mark,

Is the videoram parameter set correctly in your xorg.conf file?

Bob...

I checked the xorg.conf file and there was no videoram setting.  I added the line and then tried to up the color depth to 16, but x again failed to start.  The logfile says "Given depth (16) is not supported by this driver."  The driver is the stock nv driver for the RIVA card.  I didn't have this problem w/ RH9.  Is there an alternative to the nv driver that would run this video card?

Mark

begin:vcard
fn:Mark Bradford
n:Bradford;Mark
adr;dom:;;4007 Watters Lane;Gibsonia;PA;15044
email;internet:bra9ford@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
tel;home:724-449-2741
tel;cell:724-272-4547
version:2.1