Re: adding packages to fedora

On Sat, 11 Dec 2004 10:23:08 -0500, Jacob S <anarchypyro93@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I am tryin gto add development tools to my system and I keep getting
> errors to install "libselinux" and "libxml2". How do I fix this
> problem?

Are you trying to use the Add/Remove Software menu item?

The Add/Remove Software menu item has a limitation, it is not aware of
any updates that you have installed, the add/remove tool only knows
about the specific packages on the fedora cds. So once you install
updates, you can get errors when using the tool. If you are on fedora
core 3, you can use yum to do some of the add/remove tool's
functionality.

as root 'yum grouplist'  will give you a list of available groups ,
the same groups add/remove tool uses.

as root ' yum groupinstall "Development Tools" '  should work and
install the Mandatory and Default members of the "Development" Tools
group

as root ' yum groupinfo "Development Tools" '  will give you a list of
the packages in the Development Group, so you can see which ones are
optional, so you can choose to install those individually.

-jef