Re: Network resources evaporate on FC3 within 30 minutes of a reboot

On Sat, 2004-12-11 at 01:25 -0500, A. Rick Anderson wrote:

> I believe that the idmap entrys came from SWAT or one of the GUI tools
> originally, as did all of the printing stuff.  I haven't dug into
> getting printers to work yet.  That is my next project, after getting
> the current network issues resolved.  [the point being, the idmap and
> printer entries were not entered in the smb.conf file by design or
> deliberate intent.]
---
you want to be an administrator - learn what you are doing.
---
> This box is, as you say, a linux box as the PDC, DHCP and DNS for a
> Win2k environment.  The DHCP settings are attached, but when I was
> setting them up (a while back), it was my intent to point to the linux
> box as the wins server.  I have a DirecWay 6000 modem, which includes
> a built-in DHCP server that can't be disabled.
---
you should only have 1 dhcp server per subnet - it may cause you some
problems at some point.
---
>   The modem also commandeers the 192.168.0.1 address, so my Linux box
> is 192.168.0.2.  When I check my win2k machines via ipconfig /all,
> they are getting configured by the dhcpd.conf file on the linux
> server, so I don't think the modem and my linux box are conflicting.
>
> A check on process that were running showed that there were 2 winbindd
> processes running, one whose parent was 1.
---
there is no point in running winbind and if not counterproductive, it
simply wastes computer memory/energy
---
>   There was/is no ncsd process running.  I turned off winbind, made
> the switch on "wins proxy = no", and commented out all the printer
> stuff and the idmaps.  However, it is worth noting that winbind was
> running on FC2 without a noticeable problem.
---
are you making an argument that misconfiguration worked better in FC-2?
Then use FC-2. nscd is probably worthwhile for your setup.
---
>   I've got winbindd.log files dating from before I upgraded to FC3.
> The only complaint, which is consistent in all versions of the
> winbindd.log files are that the user "root", "cyrus" and "mailman"
> don't exist.
---
if winbind can't connect to a Windows domain controller, then no
accounts will be found and every lookup will be a waste of time.
---

> A check on nsswitch.conf shows that it expects to use winbind as the
> secondary on most of the services.
---
why not get rid of the misconfiguration?
---

> Those changes to the smb.conf file seem to have done the fix.  I've
> been running a test on the net view of my printer server and it has
> been running for at least ten or fifteen minutes longer then any time
> since I upgraded.  Craig, your advice seems to have been right on the
> money.  Thanks folks for the insights.
>
> I wonder why FC3 would be pickier about winbind running then FC2 was?
---
Better you should spend time getting set up right than trying to figure
out why things worked better when they were wrong but hey, that's just
my opinion.

valuable to know about 'testparm -s -v'

Craig