Re: Ctrl-A/E/U/etc in GNOME Apps?

Pete Toscano wrote:

A. Rick Anderson wrote:

Add the following line to your login script (probably .bash_profile) in your home directory.
export EDITOR=emacs

Thanks, I'll try that on Monday when I'm back in at my workstation. I am curious how it's working on my laptop, though, as I have no such envar set and can't find any mention of "emacs" in either the .gnome* subdirs (find ~/.gnome* -type f -exec grep -i emacs {} \; -print) or in gconf (with using find in gconf-editor -- well, I found something referencing emacsclient). I wonder if there's another way to enable this behavior.

Thanks again,
pete

My recollection is that, by default, the command-line editor is usually emacs. Your work station may be getting set to vi. Type in some text on the command line, hit the escape key and enter a 0. If it moves the cursor to the start of the command line, then you are in vi mode instead of emacs mode.

I prefer vi, so I always end up having to set my preference explicitly in my profile.

--
A. Rick Anderson