Re: network printer probs in fc3 vs fc2

Success-- but at the cost of security !?

Alexander Dalloz wrote:
> > > I have the same Netgear printserver.
> > not > > found using a browser, nor gui print conf, nor
> > localhost:631  etc
>
> > > Run system-config-printer-gui and add the printer(s) with queue type
> > > "UNIX printserver LPD", server is NETGEAR for me and queue is "P1" and
> > > "P2". This creates following in
>
> > Unfortunately this is not the problem-- I cannot connect to the
> > printserver, even tho it has a fixed ip address,
> > and consequently no matter what is in /etc/cups/printers.conf the
> > fc3 system cannot connect to it!
> > For example, I duplicated the working fc2 /etc/cups/printers.conf
> > using the gui as suggested above in fc3
> > but the system can't access it.
> > Also, I should be able , as I can in fc2,
> > to browse to the server and congfiure it without any printer
> > installed at all.
> > but this is not possible in fc3.
> >  no doubt because i'm a newb I'm making some incredibley stupid error,
> > only I don't know what it is.
>
> > Steve
>
> Hm, that is a bit sad. I once configured my Netgear PS101 to have IP
> 192.168.99. I can ping it - like you:
>
> $ ping -c1 192.168.0.99
> PING 192.168.0.99 (192.168.0.99) 56(84) bytes of data.
> 64 bytes from 192.168.0.99: icmp_seq=0 ttl=30 time=3.15 ms
>
> --- 192.168.0.99 ping statistics ---
> 1 packets transmitted, 1 received, 0% packet loss, time 0ms
> rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 3.155/3.155/3.155/0.000 ms, pipe 2
>
> A scan against the print server's LPD port shows it open:
>
> $ nmap -v -p515 192.168.0.99
>
> Starting nmap 3.70 ( http://www.insecure.org/nmap/ ) at 2004-12-10 03:29
> CET
> Initiating Connect() Scan against netgear.dogma.lan (192.168.0.99) [1
> port] at 03:29
> Discovered open port 515/tcp on 192.168.0.99
> The Connect() Scan took 0.05s to scan 1 total ports.
> Host netgear.dogma.lan (192.168.0.99) appears to be up ... good.
> Interesting ports on netgear.dogma.lan (192.168.0.99):
> PORT    STATE SERVICE
> 515/tcp open  printer
>
> Nmap run completed -- 1 IP address (1 host up) scanned in 0.371 seconds

My run of nmap shows everything closed!

> Are you able to connect it in a different network to test connectivity
> from a different system? Maybe even a Windows[tm] system and then to use
> the Windows[tm] drivers/tools for that device?

Yes win98 connects , prints and configures with no problem.

> Normally I would not suspect a coincidence with a print server break
> while switching from FC2 to FC3. The last recommend I can give is to
> flush firewall rules with
> service iptables stop
> to be sure, nothing blocks network traffic. But as you say the print
> server states no ports open, this shouldn't be the case at all.

I'm not quite sure how to do this.
In a terminal an error code results -service is not found.
However, using system settings-security level- firewall- disable firewall
Works spectacularly! Full printing availible !!
However, no security at all!
Is a compromise possible?

A very BIG thank you to Alexander Dalloz!

Steve
  sola doctor com

Sign-up for Ads Free at Mail.com
http://promo.mail.com/adsfreejump.htm