Re: Lost all network connectivity after clean FC3 install

Salvatore Indiogine wrote:
Hi Jay!

Thanks to your help I am making progress on my
networking problems.

1. Now I have internet connectivity by adding the GW
to the eth0-DHCP configuration.

2. Now I also can bring up the LAN side on eth1 by
removing the GW from the settings and using
192.168.0.1 ip address and 255.255.255.0 mask.

3. I have a Fedora PC connected to eth1 using a
crossover cable. Before I had internet connectivity
with the following settings on the client PC (adjusted
for new network schema):

IP: 192.168.0.50
Mask: 255.255.255.0
GW: 192.168.0.1 (= eth1 on PC connected to cable
modem)

DNS: same entries as on PC connected to cable modem.

Then I adjust /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward and also
modify /etc/sysctl.conf so that I do not have to echo
to proc after each reboot.

Then I type (as root) on the PC connected to the cable
modem:

iptables --table nat --append POSTROUTING
--out-interface eth0 -j MASQUERADE
iptables --append FORWARD --in-interface eth1 -j
ACCEPT

So, when I still was at FC1 it worked like a charm. Now as FC3 the following happens at the client PC
(192.168.0.50):

1. ping 192.168.0.1, OK works!
2. ping the IP number of either of the DNS servers, OK
works!
3. ping the charter.net GW, OK works!
4. ping a non-IP, thus requiring DNS name resolution
e.g. ping www.cnn.com, the I get:

www.cnn.com unknown host. So for some reason I do not
get DNS to resolve host names even though everything
else now works.

/etc/resolv.conf is the same now on 192.168.0.1 and
192.168.0.2

What is the "hosts" entry in /etc/nsswitch.conf on the client PC?

Try the "dig" tool to diagnose DNS problems on the client (part of the bind-utils package):

$ dig @68.112.12.36 www.cnn.com

Does this work?

Paul.