Re: Dump errors with selinux

On Thu, 2004-12-09 at 05:18, Simon Andrews wrote:

We've used dump/restore for our backups since way back in RH7.x. Unfortunately after our recent upgrade to FC3 I'm getting a ton of errors from it due to the extra ACLs required for selinux.

Stephen Smalley wrote:
I don't know if there is a patch for dump/restore to deal with extended
attributes, but star handles them.  star can preserve extended
attributes, including SELinux file contexts.  IIRC, the usage is
something like the following:

Creating an archive with attributes included:
	star -Hxustar -xattr -c -f foo.tar /path/to/dir

Expanding an archive and preserving attributes from it:
	star -xattr -x -f foo.tar

However, if you don't expect to customize your file contexts, you may
choose to not back them up at all, and just run restorecon on files when
you restore them to reset their contexts based on the file_contexts
configuration.

Cheers for that. I hadn't heard of star but it certainly looks like an option for us. I don't expect that we'll change the file contexts so I would be happy to use dump and restorecon, except that the log files from our backups are just ridiculously large with an error for every inode, and I can't seem to silence these warnings without potentially missing real errors.

Simon.