Re: Fedora and Music

On Wednesday 08 December 2004 23:33, Terry R. Grier wrote:
>Hello All.
>I have come a long way in 4 weeks ..learning how to install software
> .. use samba.... not to mention.. buring isos and checking
> mdsums... I am getting stumped.. with my fedora and music.
>
>Can someone send me some websites on getting mp3s and ACC files to
> work on linux?
>I still have a windows boot on my other computer.
>cause I use itunes and have an ipod.
>
>I am having a hard time getting musicbox to play mp3s .... I thought
> I installed/pluginned... gstreamer
>but it crashes.. each time I try play an mp3.

Did you install the mpeg123 plugins that you must get from a
non-redhat src?

Because mp3's are patent encumbered, with the patents owned by the
Fraunhofer Institute (who wants quite sizable license fees) , few or
none of the major distro's include the ability to play mp3's out of
the box, they don't feel they can afford the legal liability.

I might add that any criticism of the distros will usually be met
with a rather stoney silence, or outright flames by those who
understand their legal position in a market where you give away the
product but charge for the service.  So don't waste your electrons on
the effort.  There are those here who keep track of where the stuff
you need is, and will supply the urls for you to go get it.

>I am getting frustrated.. with the music sides of fedora. I love it
> for everything so far.... except music.  and I have about 6,ooo
> songs that I would like to use fedora as a file server for.......
>are there articles or something I can read to start learing ?
>Also what about this ogg format?  I seems that no ipod like device
>supports the format... is it 'better' than mp3 or ACC ?

I saw a blurb on slashdot.org a while back about an itunes/ipod like
device that did support the ogg format.  But I don't recall its name.
Perhaps someone with a better memory than I can furnish that.

As far as perceived playback quality vs working filesize and data
rates, there are those, and I'm among them, who think the audio
quality of the ogg is better than that of an equivalent data rate mp3.

However, since you have a large quantity already ripped, and any
conversions of mp3 to ogg are going to be of lessor quality since
each throws away different data in its compression, so the sonic
quality of the mp3 converted to an ogg obviously suffers.  Likewise,
from ogg to mp3 suffers too. So generally speaking, we don't
recommend the conversion.   Re-ripping from the originals always works
much better.

I started out by ripping my collection to mp3's several years ago, but
when ogg final came out, I wiped and re-ripped everything on the
shelf. For me thats far less than your 6000 tunes though so it was
only a couple of evenings work here.  My cd shelf is less than 2 feet
long. :(

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)