Re: how2 point Package Manager to directory rather than cdrom

--- Paul Howarth <paul@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Wed, 2004-12-08 at 11:26 -0800, Johnny Smith
> wrote:
> > I have a Dell laptop on which I have installed
> FC3.
> >
> > It has no cdrom....  I managed to get FC3
> installed by
> > copying the FC3 ISO's to a partition on the laptop
> and
> > changing the grub.conf on the previoous install to
> > allow me to boot to the partition.
> >
> > My problem is that I need to install gcc
> > and package manager can't seem to remember  where
> it
> > installed FC3 from [/dev/hda5].
> >
> > I tried mounting /dev/hda5 on /media/cdrom but the
> > package manager didn't find it.
> >
> > Where would I find the conifg file for package
> manager
> > that controls the source directory????
> >
> > PS.. what is the 'command line' command to bring
> up
> > PackageManager form a window?
> >
> > Thanks a lot in advance..
> > Trying to get a wlan card working
>
> # system-config-packages --tree=/path/to/tree
>
> Paul.

Thanks Paul for trying to help

I created /media/cdrom
and mounted  /dev/hda5

using mount /dev/hda5 /media/cdrom

Then I opened a window and did at the commamd line

system-config-packages --tree=/media/cdrom

I got the gui's error message that the location didn't
appear to hold a proper cd

What could I try next?

thanks

Johnny