Re: Some root mail not coming through [Solved?]

On 12/8/2004 10:40 AM John Swartzentruber wrote:
On 12/7/2004 9:56 PM Ow Mun Heng wrote:

On Tue, 2004-12-07 at 22:24, John Swartzentruber wrote:

On 12/5/2004 3:39 AM Ow Mun Heng wrote:

On Sun, 2004-12-05 at 04:29, John Swartzentruber wrote:

I'm guessing that arthur is the one which is relaying all the messages??

Can you check if the mesage queue in buster is in the queue?

/var/spool/mqueue is empty /var/spool/clientmqueue is empty Total requests: 0

and I presume there's really nothing in those directories? (I'm sure there isn't, just asking the obvious)

Correct, they are empty (i.e., "ls -a" shows only "." and "..").

FYI, I just tried sending mail from buster using the "mail" command.

What sort of MTA do you use? Sendmail? The mail command is, mailx I presume?

/bin/mailx->mail

Yes, I am using Sendmail. The mail command is /bin/mail. I don't have a "mailx" program.

From the manpage of "man 5 crontab"

In addition to LOGNAME, HOME, and SHELL, cron(8) will look at MAILTO
if it has any reason to send mail as a result of running commands in ``this'' crontab. If MAILTO is defined (and non-empty), mail is
sent to the user so named. If MAILTO is defined but empty (MAILTO=""), no mail will be sent. Otherwise mail is sent to the owner
of the crontab. This option is useful if you decide on /bin/mail
instead of /usr/lib/sendmail as your mailer when you
install cron -- /bin/mail doesn't do aliasing, and UUCP usually doesn't read its mail.

Can you check your MAILTO variable??

I don't have a "MAILTO" variable. Or at least when I do "set" as root, nothing shows up.

I also verified that all of the scripts in /etc/cron.daily are owned by root, and /etc/crontab runs "run-parts" on /etc/cron.daily as root, and /usr/bin/run-parts is owned by root.

This is all very weird. I can't see why "mail -s test root <file" delivers fine, but the normal logwatch delivery doesn't come through.

/shot in the dark

At this point, that's what I'm looking for. Unfortunately nothing seems to have hit yet. Thanks for trying.

I *may* have found the problem. It seems everything I thought was happening was really a red herring. I believe the problem was not that the logwatch messages were not being sent or received, it was that the logwatch in the cron was never finishing. Before I turned on Arthur, I tried running /etc/cron.daily/00-logwatch directly. It just sat there for a long time. Then a light went on in my head. I have an NFS mount for arthur in my /etc/fstab on buster. When I umount that, 00-logwatch finishs when I run in directly. Something in the logwatch process appears to be waiting for /mnt/arthur to be valid before the program finishes.

Now, if things run correctly overnight tonight, I think I've got the problem solved. Grrr. I hate it when I jump to bad conclusions.

Thanks again to everyone who helped me with this odd problem.