Re: public blacklists

On Wed, 2004-12-08 at 11:21 -0600, Mike Klinke wrote:
> On Wednesday 08 December 2004 11:03, David Cary Hart wrote:
>
> After having used it for the past 6 months or so in a small business
> environment and having nothing but excellent results I'm interested
> in how you arrived at your conclusion. Is this a problem of scale?

This was a fairly lengthy treatise. The bottom line is that:

1. Any delay in receiving any email may be costly.
2. The same result can be achieved with other methods that do NOT cause
a delay with far less maintenance time associated with whitelisting.
3. Ultimately, much (if not most) spam is the result of user behaviors.
Those can be successfully modified to stop spam at the source.
4. Spam engines are already being engineered around the scheme.