Re: can't delete a file although permissions seem correct

Marius Andreiana wrote:
Hi

I've encountered a weird situation where I can't delete a file:
(reproductile on rh9 and fc3, no selinux)

$ id
uid=500(marius) gid=500(marius) groups=500(marius)

mkdir d1

d1/a.txt

chmod 571 d1 chmod 460 d1/* ls -al d1/ total 12 dr-xrwx--x 2 marius marius 4096 Dec 8 15:01 . drwxrwxrwt 17 root root 4096 Dec 8 15:01 .. -r--rw---- 1 marius marius 0 Dec 8 15:01 a.txt

rm d1/a.txt
rm: remove write-protected regular empty file `d1/a.txt'? y
rm: cannot remove `d1/a.txt': Permission denied

The directory d2 has write permissions for my group, and file it's
writable by group. I belong to that group, why can't the file be
removed?

The directory d2 also has permissions that say that user "marius" does not have write permission. Generally, user permissions overrule group permissions, which overrule other permissions. Try setting the permissions of d2 to 771 instead of 571. You should then be able to remove a.txt even if it is permission 440 rather than 460.

Paul.