another update to that FC3 / LCD problem

Since the machine I use at work doesn't have any problems with
locking up the monitor when switching from text boot messages
to the graphical login panel, nor with seizing up during use, I
decided to buy a different video card.

The one at work is an ATI Radeon 7000 (PCI), so I purchased a
Radeon PCI card, the 9200SE.

So the configuration that works great with FC3:
* Dell FP1702, ATI Radeon 7000 (PCI), DVI

the configurations that FC3 flips the bird to:
* Viewsonic VX900-2, nVidia GeForce 440MX (AGP), SVGA
* Viewsonic VX900-2, ATI Radeon 9200SE (AGP), SVGA

and the configuration current being tested:
* Viewsonic VX900-2, ATI Radeon 9200SE (PCI), SVGA

all setups used 1280x1024 @ 24

Testing is in two stages: to see if the monitor lockup happens
when bringing the login panel up, and to see if the desktop lockup
happens during normal system usage.

so far, the monitor locking during the switch from boot sequence
text messages to the graphical login does still happen (cry havoc,
and let slip the dogs of profanity), so now I'm just waiting to see
what happens after some usage.  I'm also going to try to dig up a
DVI cable at work to try out... at this point, I'm out of other
desperate stupid little things to try.

If the desktop locks up on me again during use, I have only a couple
paths of action left: offer up my system for someone on the FC dev
team to figure out what's going on and fix it; do a test install to
see if the same problem happens under RHEL 3 (something I'd rather
not have to live with if it does work); or start trying out other
Linux distros (again, something else I'd prefer not to do).

I haven't tried to install FC2 with this current setup, so I don't
know if the freeze up problem that happened last time will happen
again, but so far, my confidence is very very very low.  And since
replacing a 14-month-old 19" LCD monitor is not an option for a
solution, changing operating systems is my last resort... and,
frankly, that final option disappoints the hell outta me.

For my next trick, see if this 200Gb Seagate USB/Firewire external
drive will plug in and be recognized, so I can get a solid backup
of all my stuff; that way I won't care what FC3 breaks next on this
machine.   :)

Summer Brooks, WildHorse.com Staff      I will choose a Path that's clear
brooksj at wildhorse dot com		I will choose Free Will