Odd tar problem

I backed up an FC2 system to a Tru64 system, into an NFS volume mounted
from a Solaris 2 system.  The backup was gzip'd, and the resulting
compressed archive was well over 2 gigabytes.  I did it over NFS,
because the utilities on this older solaris system didn't like the > 2g
filesize.

After doing a clean install of FC3, I found that I could not extract my
backup, using the version of tar that comes with FC3:

[root@soot /]# ssh strombrg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
'cat /dcslibsrc/soot.ess-backup/soot-slash.tar.gz' | tar xzSfp - ./data2
strombrg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx's password:
tar: ./etc/mail/virtusertable.db: invalid sparse archive member
tar: Skipping to next header

However, when I sftp'd an older gnu tar binary and ran that on FC3, I
was then able to extract the data I needed.

Thanks!