Re: libcurl.so.2

On Tue, 7 Dec 2004, Michael A. Peters wrote:

> > Don't you have .src.rpms for these applications?
>
> That only helps when you have a build environment,

Sure - but build enviornment is very simple to set up.

> and when the changes that cause the shared library to version don't
> also cause the app to stop compiling without patching.

Sure - changes can prevent the compile.

but sometimes the version bump is there eventhough the interface
hasn't changed.  (for eg: the interface functions didn't change - but
some datastructures/typedefs specified in the public include file for
this package went through a minor tweak)

There could also be a case where compile goes through - but the
interface did change causing mysterious breakage. So I guess working
with source requires a bit more care.. (as you appear to alude to)

Satish