Re: Experience with ATRPMS repository?

Craig White <craigwhite@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>On Tue, 2004-12-07 at 01:55 +0100, Axel Thimm wrote:
>> On Mon, Dec 06, 2004 at 05:27:03PM -0500, A1tmblwd@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
>> > What has your experience been using the ATRPMS, http://atrpms.net , repository?
>>
>> Excellent ;)
>>
>> > Mine has not been very favorable. I regret creating atrpms.repo and adding it
>> > to the /etc/yum.repo.d/ directory.
>> >
>> > BEGIN VENT
>> > ==========
>> >
>> > Here are the problems that plague my FC3 system after I used "yum update":
>> >
>> > 1. lm_sensors-2.8.7-2 was replaced with a buggy lm_sensors.i386 2.8.8-0_35.rhfc3.at.
>>
>> No, as explained in the bug report your config is buggy, when you ask
>> for lm_sensors to start w/o configuring it. lm_sensors did not self-activate.

A previous version (2.8.7-2) of lm_sensors was already installed. Adding
adding atrpms.repo updated lm_sensors to a newer version (2.8.8-9_35). After a reboot the "cannot access ..." error occured.  I used yum to uninstall lm_sensors-2.8.8-9_35rhfc3.at, used rpm to install the original lm_sensors from Fedora's download server, rebooted the system, and no lm_sensors error.

I do not have the source to either version so I have no idea what changes occured.  All I can go by is that a package was updated and borked my system.  By removing the update and reverting back to the previous version the error was eliminated.

>> >    I discovered that when I rebooted my system and encountered a "cannot access
>> >    procfs/sysfs" error message. I restored the older lm_sensors rpm file and posted
>> >    a bug report #329.  As of this posting rhgb still has does not work but I have not
>> >    implemented the steps to fix problem 3 and replace/repair upgraded packages.
>>
>> Your rhgb issues will most certainly be unrelated to both lm_sensors
>> and ATrpms.
>----
>hmmm - thanks for this - I was wondering about those errors at startup -
>but of course, not wondering enough to look for man pages ;-)
>
>sensors-detect
>----
>>
>> > My advice stay well away if you know what is good for your system.
>>
>> It is sad to see someone quite clueless (which is not something to be
>> ashamed of, everyone is doing his first steps once) to jump to
>> conclusions and shout out wrong advices to others. Sorry to say, but
>> your post doesn't really contribute in any constructive way. You are
>> frustrated because your system hangs on rhgb and you try to find a
>> scapegoat.
>>
>> Nevertheless the bug reports (even though these were invalid) are
>> welcome. Better an invalid report too much than missing important
>> ones.
>----
>I had one incredibly positive experience. I had a piece of junk computer
>running RH 8.0 and I bought a cheapo TV card for it. Basically, I
>executed a few commands.
>
>I installed Axel's apt.
>I changed the sources to FC-1
>I did apt-get update & apt-get dist-upgrade
>I did apt-get install mythtv-suite
>
>Of course, this process took like a day to complete.
>
>When it was done, I had a piece of junk computer upgraded to FC-1, with
>mythtv installed and ready to configure.
>
>Axel is tremendous resource to this community and if you have a problem,
>he deserves the benefit of all doubts. In fact, when I read though the
>exchanges about the various repositories, I wish I fully comprehended
>the issues that they are arguing about. One thing that I know for
>certain...that people like Axel, Dag, Mattias, Michael and Warren
>(whereabouts unknown) are tremendous assets to the RedHat/Fedora
>community and we are fortunate that they care.

Hey, I have no problem with Dag, Mattias, Michael or Warren.  These
guys do provide a valuable service.

>When someone has a problem with packages from a repository, it would
>seem that being accusatory is a lazy way for people to not admit that
>they don't understand what is going on.

I posted to this list after I had done my researched on what changes had casued my system to bork.  I submitted bug reports to the packager who brushed the reports off with it's not my fault, it's you, you don't know what you're doing, it's an invalid complaint, or it's Redhat's fault.

Perhaps you have your system locked down tighter than mine.  If you have the atrpms repo enabled in yum, use yum to update to the latest version of spamassassin or perl-XML-LIBXML, then run "rpm -q atrpms".  If it is installed check /etc/cron.daily and see if 0check4updates is in there. Now, if it is on your system explain to me why it should be there.

By the way, I used yum to remove atrpms-61-1 along with 56 other packages which were tainted by a dependency on Axel's atrpms-perl-module-helper program.  I reinstalled all removed packages with the exception of perl-IO-Socket-SSL.noarch-0.95-1.rhfc3.at from Fedora's and Dag's repos. rhgb works and no unauthorized cron jobs.