Re: Experience with ATRPMS repository?

On Tue, 2004-12-07 at 01:55 +0100, Axel Thimm wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 06, 2004 at 05:27:03PM -0500, A1tmblwd@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> > What has your experience been using the ATRPMS, http://atrpms.net , repository?
>
> Excellent ;)
>
> > Mine has not been very favorable. I regret creating atrpms.repo and adding it
> > to the /etc/yum.repo.d/ directory.
> >
> > BEGIN VENT
> > ==========
> >
> > Here are the problems that plague my FC3 system after I used "yum update":
> >
> > 1. lm_sensors-2.8.7-2 was replaced with a buggy lm_sensors.i386 2.8.8-0_35.rhfc3.at.
>
> No, as explained in the bug report your config is buggy, when you ask
> for lm_sensors to start w/o configuring it. lm_sensors did not self-activate.
>
> >    I discovered that when I rebooted my system and encountered a "cannot access
> >    procfs/sysfs" error message. I restored the older lm_sensors rpm file and posted
> >    a bug report #329.  As of this posting rhgb still has does not work but I have not
> >    implemented the steps to fix problem 3 and replace/repair upgraded packages.
>
> Your rhgb issues will most certainly be unrelated to both lm_sensors
> and ATrpms.
----
hmmm - thanks for this - I was wondering about those errors at startup -
but of course, not wondering enough to look for man pages ;-)

sensors-detect
----

> > My advice stay well away if you know what is good for your system.
>
> It is sad to see someone quite clueless (which is not something to be
> ashamed of, everyone is doing his first steps once) to jump to
> conclusions and shout out wrong advices to others. Sorry to say, but
> your post doesn't really contribute in any constructive way. You are
> frustrated because your system hangs on rhgb and you try to find a
> scapegoat.
>
> Nevertheless the bug reports (even though these were invalid) are
> welcome. Better an invalid report too much than missing important
> ones.
----
I had one incredibly positive experience. I had a piece of junk computer
running RH 8.0 and I bought a cheapo TV card for it. Basically, I
executed a few commands.

I installed Axel's apt.
I changed the sources to FC-1
I did apt-get update & apt-get dist-upgrade
I did apt-get install mythtv-suite

Of course, this process took like a day to complete.

When it was done, I had a piece of junk computer upgraded to FC-1, with
mythtv installed and ready to configure.

Axel is tremendous resource to this community and if you have a problem,
he deserves the benefit of all doubts. In fact, when I read though the
exchanges about the various repositories, I wish I fully comprehended
the issues that they are arguing about. One thing that I know for
certain...that people like Axel, Dag, Mattias, Michael and Warren
(whereabouts unknown) are tremendous assets to the RedHat/Fedora
community and we are fortunate that they care.

When someone has a problem with packages from a repository, it would
seem that being accusatory is a lazy way for people to not admit that
they don't understand what is going on.

Craig