[Solved?] Re: 3C509B and Upgrade to FC3

Gordon R. Keehn wrote:

I just upgraded a running FC2 system to FC3, and everything seemed to go smoothly except that I lost network connectivity via a slightly aged but still functional 3C509B NIC. I've tried reactivating it via the Network config program, but while its existence is acknowledged, it doesn't respond to my requests to start interfacing. Since the only access to the world beyond my home office is via that network card, it reduces the value of that system substantially.
Has anyone else run into (and gone beyond) this problem?

Cheers,
Gordon Keehn

I spent this last Saturday tweaking parameters and rebooting without success. The only common factor was a series of nastygrammes containing the string SIOCSIFFLAG. A Google search suggested that this was probably related to parameter misdefinition, but there was no evidence of a bad IRQ. I also considered the possibility that the card (which is bordering on antique status) finally decided its time was up. I booted from the install and diagnostics diskette to verify the settings (which looked fine). As a last resort before opening the box and yanking the card, I reactivated Plug-and-Play (deactivated when I originally installed Linux on that box back around Redhat 7.2) and rebooted. The card was recognised, activated, and now appears to be working fine. Go figure!
Cheers,
Gordon